Monday, March 9, 2009

Guettler's take on the Winternationals

I just got done with the 09 Winter Nationals in Phoenix. I got back from Australia on Monday and Jerry Badders (Vans team manager) asked if I wanted to watch him race bmx in Phoenix on the weekend and then fly to Greenville after. I was down but as soon as I heard Nasty was going to race I wanted to also.

Jerry got me a bike and full face and even went to Vans and got all matching long sleeve Tees. Jerry drove the Vans bus on Thursday and I stayed behind in Cali and rode Sheep Hills and got my berm and race sprints on, then got a flight that night.

On Friday we got to the race track, did a few starts but I soon realized that I suck at gate starts. I was getting waxed by every man and his dog, even a little girl on a pink bike smoked me off the line but as soon as I got going it was smooth racing.

Saturday might have been the funniest day I've ever had. I never knew Nasty used to race and he's fast as, jumping the triples and easy won his class. My class was harder for me to win but I came through with a win and I'm pumped as. Racing is super fun and I'm going to try and go to a lot more races.

Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers about gate starts and to Jerry, Vans shoes, Monster energy and Mirra co for getting me a bike, helmet and loads of fun. Dig deep and pedal like you stole it hahahahha

Ryan Guettler

-