Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dave Mirra on going brakeless

Here is a photo of Dave Mirra's new brakeless bike. Why this move you ask? Read on.

When did you decide to take your brakes off?
I was powdering up a new frame and when I was putting it back together I just decided to leave the brakes off. I have always wanted to try it but never followed through with it.

What tricks won't you be able to do now that you don't have brakes?
To be honest, the only thing I can't do yet is fufanu tricks. The first day was a mystery because I have always used my brakes for certain tricks like tailwhips, spin tricks and tucking the lever for nohanded 360's. I adapted immediately and actually learned tuck 3's without the lever. It is a totally new feeling. It's like your parents saying go ahead and take the car alone for the first time.

How much cooler do you think your bike looks now?
I really like how simple and clean my bike looks plus all of the extra rattling is gone. "for now"

No more lever to get stuck in?
That too!

No more brakes to dial in?
Oh yeah. That too!

What's with the new colour?
I have been into the powder again so you might see a few more pretty soon. I just learned a few new tricks with the gun so I am pretty psyched on the recent color changes.

Have you gotten into problems yet riding brakeless? (forgot you had no brakes...)
I actually went to the "Unit" last week and you can imagine how crazy it is but without brakes for your first time it's pretty gnarly. Really, really fast. So, I missed a line and had to aim for a tight bowl corner and almost blew off the back of the bike. I was like a run away train but on a bike. hahahha

Is it still a challenge for you or are you already used to riding brakeless?
It's definitely a challenge but an interesting one for sure.

-